blackaltis - 412

My Toyota uses: Shell cylinder oil, Shell fuel (sometimes ExxonMobil), runs on 16" Bridgestone MY-01 Sports Tourer, has the broquet fuel charger fitted, Cool n Lite tinting, Hella horn n has a front strut bar fitted!

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Passion to teach

The article below was taken from the 'asiaone forum website'. Please read the phrases in bold and the paragraph that is in the HUGE font.
------------------------------------------
I READ with interest the letters by Mr Ho Kong Loon ('Get feedback from teachers', Wednesday) and Mr Ee Teck Ee ('What matters is their quality', last Saturday), regarding teacher recruitment and the soon-to-be-released outcome of the primary school education review.

I have written on the matter before, and I reiterate how I wish others would acknowledge how noble the teaching profession is. I could not agree more with the criteria Mr Ee mentioned required of teachers: compassion, passion and professionalism.

I went for an interview last year to become a teacher out of my love of children. It saddened me that I was offered the job but not in subjects I had the passion to teach, nor at the level I wanted. I know myself well, I know my strengths and, although the interview panel tried to convince me I could excel in the other areas (I thank them for their vote of confidence in me), I politely declined the offer.

It also made me wonder about the process of recruiting teachers. I agree wholeheartedly that mid-career individuals may make good teachers because they bring experience and maturity, but as in any job, there will be the good and not-so-good. Do not let a few rotten apples spoil the barrel.

Having said that, I would like to see teachers recruited based on their character and personality as well. I am sure there are tests to ascertain these qualities. Not assessed based just on academic results.

Measuring passion, compassion and professionalism, which are intangible qualities, is tough, perhaps impossible, but one criterion is how involved the potential teacher is in charity work. Graciousness begets graciousness and I would love to see teachers, tasked with the burden of being good role models, with such basic good qualities. Is this too idealistic?

And parents, let teachers do their job. Do not
mollycoddle your child, interfere or, worse, question
teachers' authority. It shows a lack of respect for the
education system and, worse, makes the child lose
respect for his teacher.

Our education system is an excellent one. But if teachers cannot complete their curriculum during school hours, cancelling art and music lessons in the process, I wonder if it is a case of cramming too much in too little time.

And yes, tuition is meant for weaker students. Do not stress the child with extra lessons when he is doing well or even if he is an average student. I am all for letting kids enjoy their childhood and not rushing from school (which already gives too much homework) to more dull academic classes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home




MY Links!
[ Aaron ]
[ Bibiana ]
[ Christine ]
[ Chloe ]
[ Crystal ]
[ Ee Lee ]
[ Frederica ]
[ Hai Song ]
[ Hwee Ying ]
[ Jeslyn]
[ Jingyu]
[ Joanne ]
[ Li Qing ]
[ Mui Jie ]
[ Shania ]
[ Tricia ]
[ Wee Hwa ]
[ Wenjun ]
[ Winnie ]
[ Yu Xuan ]