blackaltis - 412

My Toyota uses: Shell cylinder oil, Shell fuel (sometimes ExxonMobil), runs on 16" Bridgestone MY-01 Sports Tourer, has the broquet fuel charger fitted, Cool n Lite tinting, Hella horn n has a front strut bar fitted!

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Standchart Sg Marathon 2006





From top: The finisher's medal, my #tag with
the shoes tt took me thru the gruelling 21.1km

----------------------------------------------------

I finished it. I ran past the finish line this morning in 2hrs 20 min 53.08 sec despite the cramps tt plagued both my legs. It was a great experience n the feeling as i crossed the end pt was simply fantantic. All the months of training, physical conditioning n also mental preparation was worth it. Even though my legs felt as if they were lyk jelly, tt is ntg compared to the sense of achievement.

Got up at 4am this morng n gave CK (my bro) a morng call. Took my breakfast (powerbar, banana, water n bread) b4 driving to Fort Canning to park my car as there were very limited free parking lots available. I tot i was early enough but the full marathon runners were even earlier. All along the way, passengers in taxis n other cars were wearing the similar kind of outfit so no prizes for guessing where they were headed. Met up with CK n we slowly made our way to the Esplanade Bridge where thousands (yes there were 9ooo pple running 42.195km, 8000 running the 21.1k n 13000 in the 10k n others) were gathered getting ready for the flag off.
At preciously 6.30am, the 8000 or so half-marathon runners were flagged off. The sense of being able to have the whole road to ourselves was simply wonderful. Hearing the cheers n the beep of the computer as it picks up the runners crossing the start line signals the start of a tough but rewarding journey ahead. I ran thru Shenton Way twds Marina Sth. Throughout the route, the crowd though huge was not squeeezy. What made the run enjojyable was the fantastic weather. There was no sun at all n it was cloudy n breezy. Praise the Lord for the fine weather.
It got a little more congested when i crossed the U turn where the 10k runners made their roundabout. However, what kept me going was being 1 of the 30,000 participants in this world-class event. Yes, the Stanchart Marathon is well known around the world.
The critical pt was at the 16km mark. I hit the 'runners wall'. The last 5km proved to be real tough. At this juncture, my left hamstring started to cramp. I slowed the pace n even walked but it seemed to get worse. Stopped for water replenishment n also to do some stretching. Overheard another participant telling another," The worst thing to happen is tt u get cramps n u have to stop n stretch. This cld mean the end of the race." Yeah, right. But this was a case of mind over matter. As i posted b4, the mental component plays a crucial part esp when u hit the 'runners wall'. Once u overcome the 'wall', u got it made. I was not prepared to give in to fatigue so i prayed for supernatural strength n endurance.
As i approached Esplanade Bridge for the last leg twds the end pt, i cld hear the screams of joy, cheers of encouragement, clappers making noise n spectators encouraging the participants on, i forgot all abt the pain, cramps n fatigue. Seeing the end pt within sight, i made sure tt even if i had to crawl past it or worse still 'collapse', it will be after the end pt! haha!
The moment of truth set in when i stepped onto the mat n heard the computer beep to signal the end of my gruelling 21.1k. I punched the air in jubilation! CK came in couple of metres behind me. He too hit his 'wall' ard the 17k mark too. Kudos to him for finishing well. For the next 10min or so, i literally cld not walk. I sat on the pavement as both my hamstrings (it was at the 19k mark tt both my hamstrings cramped) were cramped up n the pain was quite substantial. CK helped me to stretch n i did my warm down before heading to return the timing chip in exchange for the finisher's medal.
I m glad tt as a 1st timer, the timing was 5 min below my set target. So what is next? I need to nurse those 'jelly legs' of mine n will resume running again in abt 2 - 3 wks time. Here's to the next half marathon in '07. The Army Half Marathon n the Stanchart Sg Marathon '07. My cousin who also ran the half marathon is going for the full 42.195k next yr. She asked if i wld be joining her then. I think the runway is still insufficient. Perhaps by '08?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home




MY Links!
[ Aaron ]
[ Bibiana ]
[ Christine ]
[ Chloe ]
[ Crystal ]
[ Ee Lee ]
[ Frederica ]
[ Hai Song ]
[ Hwee Ying ]
[ Jeslyn]
[ Jingyu]
[ Joanne ]
[ Li Qing ]
[ Mui Jie ]
[ Shania ]
[ Tricia ]
[ Wee Hwa ]
[ Wenjun ]
[ Winnie ]
[ Yu Xuan ]