blackaltis - 412

My Toyota uses: Shell cylinder oil, Shell fuel (sometimes ExxonMobil), runs on 16" Bridgestone MY-01 Sports Tourer, has the broquet fuel charger fitted, Cool n Lite tinting, Hella horn n has a front strut bar fitted!

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Sg Bay Run completed....

I crossed the finish line just a little below 2hrs 28 mins. According to my watch, it clocked my timing at 2hr27min47secs. Although it was about 7 minutes slower than my Stanchart Half Marathon last year over the same distance, I felt this time round I managed to complete the 21.1km with a little less strain. At this point in time, my legs feel a little sore and slopes and stairs are something which I am going to avoid for the next day or two! That spells trouble as I got to climb quite a number of steps in school tomorrow from the car park! Oh crap! Why did they not build an escalator that goes up from the bottom of that dreaded 107 steps staircase?
I got up at 0330hrs this morning and had my breakfast before setting off to Raffles City where I parked the Blackaltis. Put on my shoes and the timing chip which will capture my timing before making my way to the start point at the Esplanade Bridge. This is the start point for many running events as it is smack in the middle of the city. At preciously 0530hrs, we were flagged off to start on our 21.1km half marathon.
I ran through Shenton Way before turning right at Lau Pa Sat to head towards Chinatown. Having the whole road to ourselves is great as you need not worry about traffic. The authorities either closed up the entire road or they barricaded more than half of it so that runners had the space they needed. Turned left at the Maxwell FC (well-known for their 'hum jin peng') to head towards the ECP and of course the highlight of the run: up the Sheares Bridge. Although I ran the 10k for SBR last year, due to distance constraints, only the half marathoners had the privilege to run the whole bridge towards Fort Rd. However, they made it such that the 12k and 21k runners will run the whole bridge! One other marked improvement was that runners need not stop at junctions unlike last year in order that traffic could pass through.
I turned right at Fort Rd and headed towards East Coast Park. The U turn was slightly before Marine Parade. Runners will then backtrack where they came from to head towards Mountbatten Rd and onto Nicoll Highway. Usually, it is the last few kilometres which is the most difficult as fatigue and strain sets in. However, this is where the mental strength comes in to spur you on. Slowed my pace and walked a little where necessary and once I saw the the 20km mark I could 'smell' the end point! Picked up speed a little and turned into the floating stadium where the end point is. The moment of truth came when I stepped and crossed the finish line and heard the beep. At last, the 21.1km run was over. The satisfaction feeling was simply fantastic. Returning the timing chip in exchange for the finisher's medal was the icing on the cake.
Despite the pain, soreness and fatigue, it was worth it. All the training that was invested, the perspiration, blood, sweat and tears paid off. The bottom line is to keep pushing on. The going does get tough but the euphoric feeling that overwhelms you when you finish is indescribable.
So the SBR has come and gone. Overall, it was way better than last year in terms of the running route and end point. The weather too was very favourable. I will now rest for a week or so before I resume training for the next event in 3 weeks time. That is the Terry Fox Run For Hope Sg which will be held at Sentosa. The distance is 8 km. Registration is still open I think. Care to join anyone?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home




MY Links!
[ Aaron ]
[ Bibiana ]
[ Christine ]
[ Chloe ]
[ Crystal ]
[ Ee Lee ]
[ Frederica ]
[ Hai Song ]
[ Hwee Ying ]
[ Jeslyn]
[ Jingyu]
[ Joanne ]
[ Li Qing ]
[ Mui Jie ]
[ Shania ]
[ Tricia ]
[ Wee Hwa ]
[ Wenjun ]
[ Winnie ]
[ Yu Xuan ]